Thursday, January 1, 2009

FAQ

Whether it's friends, extended family or someone I have just met once someone has tasted my cooking or baking I am invariably asked the same questions over and over. Even though this blog is brand new (opening day 6/21/09) I thought I would start with the IRL questions I am asked all the time. As this blog (hopefully) grows I am sure there will be more questions and I will add them from time to time.

1.) Why do very few of your recipes contain "convenience food" items?

Simply put I did not grow up eating convenience foods. It was a rare day in Gram's kitchen when you would find things like Cool Whip or Campbell's Soup and you would never find artificial foods like Velveeta. That's not to say we didn't get the occasional treat of Spaghettios or McDonald's but those were more of a Saturday visit with my Dad thing than anything else. Prepackaged foods simply were not part of my culinary experience as a child. In fact, curious as it seems to some, the first time I ever heard about, let alone tried Kraft Mac & Cheese I was almost twenty years old! As I got older I tried and tinkered with many "convenience foods" and food items and they just aren't my cup of tea.

2.) Butter or margarine?

Butter butter butter butter butter! Why? It just tastes better.

3.) Do you craft or bake professionally?

Not at this time. In my late teens/early twenties (before the advent of the Internet) I had a roaming wearable art business. It was fun, it was rewarding but it was also a ton of work. Moving from venue to venue every weekend after spending the week creating handmade jewelry, clothing and other accessories (hats, shoes, etc.) was not an easy lifestyle. While I have toyed with the idea of opening a cafe/bakery since I was in my mid-twenties, I've never been at a place in my life where I could seriously consider doing it. That being said, if the opportunity were to arise I would absolutely jump for the brass ring!

Last updated 06/21/09

0 comments:

Post a Comment